Online casino is a hobby that always will come with a certain risk.
However, healthy players must take the best possible precautions to play responsibly. This is to avoid gambling issues or any form of gambling addiction.
There is no exact way to play responsibly. It is simply about being aware of what gambling does to your brain and how you can detect warning signals in the early stages and take a break or stop.
This guide was created so that you can detect gambling problems in early stages and take necessary actions if that is the case.
Table of Contents
📌 More about gambling addiction
A gambling addiction can vary quite a lot from different individuals. Gambling addiction can also lead to disastrous consequences for the player that is affected.
Normal damages caused by gambling issues are economic, social and psychological.
We are not speaking lightly about gambling issues as this is a very serious problem. Zamsino is self-proclaimed the most responsible casino guide in the world.
We are on every single page on our entire website across languages referring to our responsible gaming guides.
📌 Different types of gambling Issues
There are several categories that experts use to determine the severity of gambling issues. These are all explained below.
📌 Compulsive gambling
This status of gambling issue is the worst one. The following signs are oftenly used to describe someone suffering from compulsive gambling disorder.
- A compulsive gambler will continue to play regardless of the economical outcome of a session, they are deeply addicted to the activity of gambling.
- They actively look for opportunities to make bets or gamble with money they know that cannot afford to lose.
- Compulsive gambling is a synonym for pathological gambling.
📌 Binge gambling
Binge gambling is often used to describe people who shows the symptoms of a compulsive gambler with only during certain hours or periods.
- A binge gambler may appear not to have a problem with gambling.
- Binge gambling only truly shows when the person suffering from it starts to gamble and in those cases the sessions turn in to compulsive gambling sessions.
📌 Problem gambling
Problem gamblers are referred to people in an early stage of gambling addiction.
- Problem gamblers have an unhealthy relationship to gambling.
- One thing could be that they are chasing losses by playing more that they wanted to from the beginning.
📌 Treatment for gambling problems
Gambling issues are very hard to deal with by yourself it’s often required that you get some form of support in order to get the problem under control.
So, if you are reading this feeling bad but have not gotten help yet, do not fear.
There is a way out of the misery and to a healthy peaceful mind again. It’s very common for former gambling addicts to stay in gambling problem groups and meetings for a very long time even when things are well again.
Unfortunately, gambling is heavily marketed on television and many other places and the temptation can easily get very hard to resist.
Below you can find a great checklist that you can use in order to detect signs of gambling issues.
📌 Checklist for detecting gambling issues
- You play for more money than you planned to.
- Playing longer session and prioritize gambling.
- You deposit savings.
- Getting very emotional and or upset when losing.
- Your tilted mode is affecting others around you.
- You keep playing even though you closed accounts before.
- Coming up with excuses to play online casino.
- Borrowed money to play.
- You have a gambling debt.
If you recognize any of these behaviours above you are in the risk zone for developing gambling issues or you already have a serious gambling problem.
In this case, we recommend you call a helpline to talk to. Find information about these further down on this page.
📌 Help tools
If you like playing online but are gambling aware enough to know when you need to take a break in a healthy way there is plenty of options for this.
All of our casinos have limitation systems that can grant you an easy way to pause or limit the deposits of your account.
Zamsino employees have all gone through officially responsible gaming training and can easily detect signs of gambling problems.
In order to play casino in a good manner, you should be able to lose money without getting emotionally affected. Only in this way can gambling be used as a healthy risk-free hobby.
📌 Need more help?
In case you still need help and need someone to talk to we recommend that you call a helpline. They are available 24 hours a day and will assure that you can get the help that you need.
You can find any gambling helpline number by simply googling, gambling helpline and the country you are living in.
Stay safe out there and thanks for reading this article.
📌 References we used to make this article
- www.helpguide.org: Gambling Addiction and Problem Gambling – Warning Signs and How to Get Help
- www.scientificamerican.com: How the Brain Gets Addicted to Gambling
- www.nlm.nih.gov: Pathological gambling
- www.cam.ac.uk: The psychology of gambling
- gamblingaddiction.org.uk: Myths about gambling addiction
- www.bcresponsiblegambling.ca: Gambling Myths & Facts
- www.begambleaware.org/gambling-problems/who-does-problem-gambling-affect/young-people-and-gambling/ Young People and Gambling
- www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/news-action-and-statistics/Statistics-and-research/Statistics-and-research.aspx Gambling Commission UK Statistics and Research and Gambling participation and problem gambling
- www.rgsb.org.uk/PDF/Trends-in-childrens-gambling-2011-2017.pdf Trends in children’s gambling 2011-2017
Information on this page has been verified by Mandy, Reg.MBACP (Accred) gambling problem counsellor/psychotherapist & clinical supervisor.